industrial design malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering

5 posters

Go down

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering Empty AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering

Post  Admin Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 pm

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21486

The goal for this project was to produce a fairly detailed sketch render of an open-wheel, mid engine sports car with deadly accurate perspective.

Instead of spending hours trying to work freehand lines into perfection I decide to throw together a quick concept model so that I could create an underlay for the final image.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21439

I begin by laying out orthographic sketches of the initial design intent. (Profile view came first, followed by top, and finishing with the front end.) Once compiled, I start laying out basic curves and planes to get a basis for the concept model.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21440

Once I’m content with the level of modeling for the purpose of the exercise, I turn on hardware shade with a few tweaks to enhance the highlights and shadows. For this image, I’m also looking for a reflection and a hard shadow to the passenger side of the vehicle.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21441

Now I’ve found my positioning and decide to open the doors to create a more dynamic and aggressive stance. (The background colour has changed as I’ve switched from Modeling workflow to Paint workflow.) Here I could begin sketching onto a new overlay canvas. This allows you to draw on the canvas within the same file as the model at a specific bookmark. I prefer to take a screen capture and start a new Paint file, importing the capture as my base layer.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21442

I add a new layer over the capture and flood fill with White. After pulling down the opacity so that I can see the sketch beneath, I add a new layer to begin the sketch. This is where I could start using the lines of the model to snap my pencil to, had I been using an overlay canvas.) However, I use freehand lines and predictive strokes to get the initial line drawing out. I’ve built up the door panels and interior as I didn’t get around to modeling it before the sketch. I also added a small insect-like headlamp to the front end. This is a process of creating layer after layer to avoid erasing or drawing over completed line work. Once the sketch is completed, I merged all the layers, except for the bottom two.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21443

Now that the main sketch and reflection sketch are completed (on separate layers.)I add a new layer between the white and the two sketch layers. Here, I am trying to build up a pearl white base with a satin finish. So I first throw down a light tan airbrush stroke heavily on the lower edges of the body.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21444

On another layer, more dark tones are added with the airbrush and any excess is erased using a hard eraser. This is the basic idea for all the painting operations.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21445

A slight hard edge of the tan is added to attain a slight shine without having an overly glossy feel to the nose of the car. A quick sketch is drawn over the model’s heavy shadow. A layer is added below, and Airbrushed with a hard black. The lines of the sketch are used to erase the paint back to the confines of the shadow. The sketch layer is turned off and the shadow is tweaked with a Soft eraser and layer opacity. In this case, I duplicated the shadow layer and worked both layers to get the desired effect (most notably at the front “horns” of the underbody.) A quick stroke is added to a new layer below the sketch to start building up the reflection.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21446

Now I begin with the detail work by painting the brakes and the horns. The brakes are built up of several layers: slate blue, darks, highlights, black circles for drilled rotors, and highlights for those holes. Once all the paint layers are created, they are merged to speed up the erase back process.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21447

The decision was made to paint the horns a glossy gold.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21448

Similar workflows are used to paint the centre hubs of the wheels. The paint is built up for both the main focus and the reflection. Suspension components and headlamp and test interior upholstery (in the reflection) have also been painted.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21449

Now it’s time to punch up the contrast by painting the tires. They are simply filled with black and softened up with a soft eraser. A new layer is added on top to add the hint of a tread pattern. As I’m not looking for a perfectly finished photo real render, I spend little time on this by throwing down a custom texture brush based on a felt tip pen. (Lighter stokes on the bottom and darker on the top.) These, again are softened. Shading and reflections are added to the rims as well.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21450

The interior is built up over 15 or so layers, and then merged. The same texture brush used on the tires is used to create a stitching effect on the seats and door panels. Three layers are dedicated to this alone: tan, darker brown below, and a lighter tan above all.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21451
AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21452

Now that the reflection paint is completed and merged, it can be toned down with a large soft erase and layer opacity. The main sketches are also altered at this point by fading out using the same process.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21453

Now I take any design development from the sketch to the concept model and add them for later use. Headlamps and taillights were added at this time.

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering File_21454
Admin
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

https://idmalaysia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering Empty Re: AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering

Post  riderx Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:17 pm

thanks for the knowledge Very Happy

huhu..tak pernah lg try alias ni...insyallah satu hari nanti nak reti guna juga... Very Happy ape2 pun upload la lg step by step car design ke.. Very Happy
riderx
riderx
Practical Trainer
Practical Trainer

Back to top Go down

AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering Empty Re: AutomotiveConcept Development Rendering

Post  Admin Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:45 pm

boleh2... cuma nak upload tu banyak sgt... nnt slow2... kalau ada apa2 yg menarik post la sekali... Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

https://idmalaysia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rohaizamtahar Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:46 pm

cam daniel simon...tapi sini tak tunjuk how the proses of making line and colors...dia pakai studiotool ker @ sketchbook?? aku rasa studio, cos line kemas..cam masking gak ler...terer..tererrr...

rohaizamtahar
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  carcofinny Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 am

aku rasa dia pakai sketchbook la zam... sebab sketchbook baru ada guide template dah... try sketchbook 2010... aku dh install kat tablet pc aku... perrgh best siut... hehe
carcofinny
carcofinny
Junior Designer
Junior Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  rohaizamtahar Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 am

aku pun dah try..tapi nak buat taya senang arrr...ngan line street...kalu curv leceh skit la..aku rasa dia pakai studiotool gak..anyway, smart gak cara gini..kalu purpose for presantation ok la..tapi kalu nak ideation, mampuih buang masa..

rohaizamtahar
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  carcofinny Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 am

tp rasanya kalu nak buat presentation baik render ja teruih... ni duk pusing nak buat sketch balik buat apa... hehe... tp beza satu saja... orang2 europe development time depa panjang so buleh la merapu camni... kita development time pendek gila... kalu mintak design esok nak... apa bala nak buat cenggini... tp x bleh salahkan diaorang gak... kena ajaq gak sikit... hehe... baru depa tau...
carcofinny
carcofinny
Junior Designer
Junior Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  rohaizamtahar Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 pm

uiiiiii.....ada yang bulehhhhhh......hang pun tauuu

rohaizamtahar
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  carcofinny Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:11 am

hahaha... tu yg payah tu... tu dh jadi lepat liat, x mau dengaq kata... lama2 sok jadi la element and principals of design ialah api, air, angin dan tanah.... hahahha
carcofinny
carcofinny
Junior Designer
Junior Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  prof Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:57 pm

smart r... ni gune alias sketcbook ke alias autostudio?
prof
prof
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  carcofinny Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:44 am

current skethbook pun bleh tp leceh sikit... studio senang sikit sbb bleh control brush ikut curve... and yg atas ni mmg definitely guna studio... Smile
carcofinny
carcofinny
Junior Designer
Junior Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  prof Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm

sy ade try gune alias, interface die mcm rhyno...
camne awk wat interface sketch ni...
prof
prof
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  carcofinny Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:15 am

bro pakai version mana? kalau x silap saya yang latest2 ni semua dia ada option bila run program jer keluar pop up tanya nk work in 2D or 3D.... tp sebenarnya pilih le mana2 pun bleh tuko gak ke 2D sketch nnt bila program dh run...
carcofinny
carcofinny
Junior Designer
Junior Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  prof Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:18 pm

sy pakai alias 2010, mase masuk2 die juz tanye nk gune automotive, design or surface
prof
prof
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  carcofinny Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:39 am

lepas tu dia akan tanya...
carcofinny
carcofinny
Junior Designer
Junior Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  prof Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 am

yeke? lepas2 xdek la..
die terus masuk interface...
kalo nk tukar, kt ne setting die ye?
prof
prof
Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down